Thursday 30 May 2013

It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!!

As promised, a far more exciting post tonight... 

The baseball game was so much fun!!! We went to the Yankees vs the Mets at the infamous Yankee Stadium up in Harlem. Feeling like very seasoned New Yorkers (lolzies!) we caught the metro train up there, hopped off right at the stadium (although not before marveling at the Trevor Noah poster in the subway!), bought some Yankees merchandise on the way to our gate and headed into the stadium with growing excitement and enthusiasm. We were not disappointed! The stadium was really quite impressive. The diamond really is as green as emeralds, neatly mowed in rows that cross over to make diamond shapes, and there was not a piece of litter to be seen anywhere. There is a cup holder in front of every seat (so much less danger of spillage than at the rugby!), there are cops based all around the field before, after and during the game in between innings (to prevent streakers, I presume) and security at every stairway entrance into the seats. Very very well organised. 

While the food and beer was ridiculously over priced ($11 for a not very large cup of LIGHT Bud!), the atmosphere was extremely contagious, and much to the surprise of all five of us very patriotic non-Americans, we very soon found ourselves standing, hats off, as the Star Spangled Banner rang out through the stadium. I must say, for all their noise about patriotism, we sing our anthem WAY louder and with far more heart at the rugby than any of them did last night. For that matter, I think I was the only person I could hear singing and I was doing it as a joke! They will never know :) We all threw ourselves wholeheartedly into the all-American experience of drinking beer, eating nachos and screaming encouragement at the players to catch the ball or run faster. Much to mine and Sam's disappointment (the boys chose to be non-mainstream and support the Mets) the Yankees managed quite a spectacular loss (9 runs to 4 if memory serves me right). So much so that their fans had all left before the game even ended! Nonetheless, Sam and I shouted our support with much enthusiasm until the last out when we eventually had to concede defeat to the boys. 

Tonight Jake and I descended on Times Square to take a few final shots before we both leave tomorrow. I could barely contain my excitement as I finally got to go INTO the Disney store!!! Eeeeeepppp. Too much of happiness :) it is pretty much just two stories of fluffy toys and pink sparkly stuff. I was in heaven :) and Jake was in hell. Poor boy. But he very kindly and patiently took a hundred and one photos of me with various fluffy animals and characters from amazing movies. I found Nemo! :) We also went to the Toys R Us that has an indoor Ferris wheel in it! I so wanted a ride, but Jake would hear none of it, so I turned my attention to my mission that, until now, has remained a secret... Finding a Wookie teddy bear! And I did! It is the softest and fluffiest Wookie I could ever have asked for, and it even makes Wookie-talk noises when you press its tummy :) Yay! You'll be with me for the rest of the trip now baby :) 

Tomorrow I am heading up to Connecticut to visit Jess, an old friend of mine. I'll be with her for the weekend before heading up to Boston for all of next week! I am also quite pleased to report that I am now very close to being able to upload pics for you guys... I have gotten them off my camera, I now just need to get them onto my iPad and I will post them ASAP! Just a note: I will be going back through my blog and posting them where they are relevant, as I feel it would be nicer to be able to read about the adventure and see the pics together.

Stay classy c",)

































No comments:

Post a Comment